Thursday, July 5, 2012

// Grumigold //

 


Three Albums I’m Obsessed With Right Now...

DISCLAIMER: Fair warning, my album reviews will probably always feel a bit disjointed and you kind of have to understand my particular brand of weirdness to get a good read from them, but check out all three of these albums for yourself on Spotify (or press play above), and then you’ll begin to understand if you can trust my esoteric words attached to them.

Santigold // Master of My Make-Believe: Santigold is a trip-hop electronic artist with some world beats/flavor.  This new much-anticipated installation from Santigold does not disappoint.  Within the walls of her make-believe, you can find dance euphoria, melodic hooks, world beats, and empowering ballads/statements of feminine fierceness.

Standout tracks: “Disparate Youth”, “Pirate in the Water”, and “Big Mouth”
Best Lyric: “While you’re burning away, the thing’s goin’ down...you’ve got to MOVE.  You’ve got to MOVE.” --”Pirate in the Water”

Dum Dum Girls // Only In Dreams: Dum Dum Girls are wallflower garage rock with surfer-guitar riffs.  They remind me of the ‘90s in the best possible way.  My husband described them astutely as “If The Ramones and Siouxsie & the Banshees had a baby that listened to Hole.”  They have a goth sensibility, with a weird dark optimism coming through with that surf-guitar droney thing they’ve got going on.  I’m sure the Cure is an influence, but their lyrics are much more literal and catchy.  Listening to the Dum Dum Girls makes me want to lay in my bedroom and stare at glow-in-the-dark stars on the ceiling wistfully thinking about a dreamy boy I can’t have...this is a good thing, a very very good thing.

Standout tracks: “Coming Down”, “Caught In One”, and “Always Looking”.
Best Lyric: “I never felt a beat in my heart ‘til you made it start.” --”Always Looking”

Grimes // Visions:  How can I describe the wonder that is Grimes?  I just discovered this electronic Master-Female a few short months ago and she’s already crept up to my #1 artist according to play-stats collected on my last.fm.  I am in love with this woman.  She makes ethereal-weird electronic music (You know how there’s Ambient Dream Pop?  Grimes is like Ambient Dream Electronic with Occasional Nightmares).  She sings guttural-low 2 seconds before Mariah-high layered on top of operatic-awesome; strings right next to bleeps and clicks and Satanic-howls.  I think she makes up words like Cocteau Twins did.  When I first heard Grimes I was confused and didn’t know if I liked it, but I just kept listening and listening until my soul became one with this little weird girl that makes phenomenal music.  Luckily for me, this is her third album, so I now have more.  If you listen to this on Spotify and love it as much as I do, I think we’re soulmates.  Email me (mixtressrae@yahoo.com), because I need someone to help me unravel the love (and I have a gift for you if you like this album and are the first to email me about it) I have for this artist.

Standout tracks: “Circumambient”, “Nightmusic”, and “Oblivion”
Best Lyric: “Oh baby, I can’t say that everything is ok.  I have a problem and I don’t know how to stop it.” --”Circumambient”

Followers