Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Subscribe to Sound.


My eighth article for Current, Etc (seriously, I researched the SHIT out of this subject, so if you have any questions whatsoever about MOG or Spotify, ask me, because I'm thisclose to all-knowing):


Subscribe to Sound.
This is a command.  If you do not have a music subscription service, do not pass go, do not collect $200, just do it.

I find that a lot of people don’t realize that this option is out there, so if you’re one of the uninitiated, music subscription services are online on-demand options for music-imbibing, and the service has been fully actualized in the last year or so.  Here, I will describe some of the features of my two favorites (MOG.com and Spotify.com).

When I say “on-demand”, let’s take a moment and ponder the sublimeness of this concept.  This means you can look up the new Madonna that I reviewed last issue and listen to it without accidentally owning it.  You can listen to anything (both services boast libraries in the millions, so most of what you covet will be on one of these sites).  Both MOG and Spotify offer offline options, so you don’t even have to be connected to the internet--this means that with the mobile apps you can actually download the songs to your phone.

The even better news is that they’re both free (with ads, 4.99/month without ads, and if you want to have the app on your electronic devices it’s 9.99/month).  If you’re near a computer right now, there’s no excuse not to type in one of those web addresses and start listening.  I’ll wait. 

As to which service to begin your aural nirvana, they’re both so awesome and free, I would encourage you to try each.  Spotify has more social and music discovery features, but MOG has higher quality bit rates (320 across the board, so everything sounds amazing).  MOG is browser-based (meaning one simply has to go to the website to use it) and Spotify requires installing a program on your computer, but both are pretty to look at (MOG’s user interface is mostly red and grey and Spotify is mostly green and grey, in the event you want to decide by color preference) and easy to use.

The most sparkling beauty of subscribing to music for me is the indispensable verity that I have avoided many bad purchases and discovered lots of new music (I’m listening to a new album right now on MOG) I might not have heard otherwise.  It’s a fantastic concept, and with the trickiness of music rights, we’re lucky to have this utopia, so get out there and enjoy it (If you’re at a loss for what to listen to, check out reviews on pitchfork.com.).  Seriously, what are you waiting for?

Make it so.


Make it so
-MixtressRae

Followers