Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Why you should have a good pair of headphones.


My fifth article for The Current, Etc and the inspiration for a big headphone test I'm currently conducting.  Soon I will have a big headphone review of all the cans I've gotten my hands on to test:

Why you should have a good pair of headphones.

When I’m not acting as your Current, Etc Music Advisor I am either working reference at the library or working for my mom’s Zen Cleaning service, in which I don my trusty fuchsia in-ear v-moda remix headphones and scrub toilets for monetary compensation.  I enjoy this job mainly because of the working-while-wearing-headphones phenomenon.  It’s indispensable to me to be able to sequester myself in the soundscapes of my choosing at all times.  If I could wear headphones during all activities in this life, I probably would.

I digress.  Anyway, I bring up my fuchsia wonders as the last time I arrived at my cleaning job, gasp, withOUT these instruments of my affection.  Luckily, I keep a pair of headphones in my car for just such emergencies.  Regular iPod headphones.  Let me tell you what a difference an earbud makes:
Firstly, the things didn’t block out pesky cleaning sounds such as vacuums and abrasive scrubbing noise.  I was not amused.  My fuchsia beauties squish perfectly into my ear canals and even with no sound going through them make excellent neighbor’s-dog-barking-excessively cancellation.  I immediately understood why, when others try to engage with headphoned-me (the nerve!), they comment that my music must be REALLY loud if I didn’t hear them.  No, they’re just good headphones.

Secondly, the blasted iPod issue earbuds kept falling out of my ear when I used the toilet brush (not INTO the toilet, thankfully).  My fuchsia lovelies came with four sizes of earbuds, so they fit like the dream I’m painting them to be in this love letter.

Lastly, iPod earbuds, as can be expected being valued in the 20-30$ range, sound like muddled din compared to the rich tones of my fuchsia pretties.  I no longer felt like I was in the room with Chuck and Josh (the delightful boys from the “Stuff You Should Know” podcast) and that was almost enough to make me put down my toilet brush and drive home to get my precccious.

All this to say that it is really worth it to drop the bigger bucks on headphones that pull their weight in the relationship.  If you’re comfortable with dropping $50 on headphones and you’re used to iPod standard issue, this will be an improvement, though I tend to drop about a hundred on beautiful sound.  If you wear headphones at least a couple of hours a week, do not pass go, do some research (reviews.cnet.com) and get some good headphones.  You owe it to your ears!
-MixtressRae

Followers